Do I have to pay any upfront fees?

Once you have decided you wish to proceed with a let on one of our properties an administration fee is payable. Administration fees contribute towards cost of referencing and administration in processing your application to let. The fees are inclusive of VAT and are:

  • Application for 1 person – £250
  • Application for 2 people – £295
  • Every additional applicant – £70
  • Guarantor application (per guarantor) – £70
  • Application for Two student with two guarantors – £400

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, we require you to pay the equivalent of one and a half months rent as a deposit. This is paid on or before the day you sign your tenancy agreement and is held by us in a stakeholder account and registered with the “Tenancy Dispute Service”.

Do I have to supply references etc?

Yes you will need to supply: Current employment information including role and salary information (if applicable), Bank or building society account number and sort code for credit checking. Previous landlord information. These are provided so confirm your ability to meet the rental commitment.

What is a tenancy agreement?

It is a legally binding document between you and the landlord, applicable to the property you are renting that states the amount of rent, the length of the tenancy, your rights and responsibilities. Your agreement will most probably be an Assured Shorthold tenancy.

What are my responsibilities?

These should be clearly set out in your tenancy agreement, which you should read carefully before you sign. If in doubt, ask us.

How long does it all take before I can move in?

We expect it to take a minimum of three full working days but not normally longer than 5 full working days, to take up and confirm references but this will depend on the speed of your referees responding to the referencing request. You will need to arrange a bank transfer or bankers draft covering the first rent period and the deposit and we will arrange for a pre-move in inspection and contents inventory to be drawn up and the transfer of utility accounts into your name. You will not be allowed possession of the property until all this has been done.

Tenants Liability Insurance

It is a term of the Assured Short hold Tenancy Agreement that you will sign upon taking up occupancy in the property that you should have tenants liability insurance in place that will cover any potential damages to the landlords contents and possessions. City Residential recommend Let Alliance for this purpose and our team will be able to provide you with their contact details.

How long is a typical let?

The minimum term of our assured shorthold tenancy agreement is six months, however most are signed for 12 months and some for longer.

What happens if I want to stay on or leave early?

Tenancies are frequently renewed. If you’re likely to leave before the end of the original term agreed, you must negotiate break clauses to be written into the agreement however the landlord may not accept a break clause in the tenancy agreement. If the landlord does not accept a break clause you will remain responsible for the rent until the end of the term agreed, unless a new and satisfactory tenant can be found usually at your expense. Finding a replacement tenant is at the Landlord or Landlords Agent’s discretion and he/they may decline to do this. If you renew your tenancy on either a fixed term there is a charge of £85 or if you wish to renew on a (periodic) rolling basis a renewal fee of £100 is payable.

What else do I have to pay for?

The tenant pays the utility bills such as gas, electricity, water and telephone during the course of the tenancy, T.V. licence, etc as well as the Council Tax applicable to the property. However some lettings, particularly student lettings are all inclusive. The tenancy is only all inclusive if the tenancy agreement specifically states it.

How do I report a maintenance issue?

The quickest and simplest way of reporting a maintenance issue is on our website.  On the home page there is a tab that says “Request Repair” click on that tab and follow the instructions which will guide you through the process.  Once you have submitted your repair request we will review it and send it on to our contractor.

What must I do at the end of a tenancy?

You must ensure that you provide City Residential or the Landlord at least thirty days written notice of your intention to vacate. You must ensure you fulfill your obligations stated in the tenancy agreement to leave the property in the condition it was in at the start, accepting fair wear and tear. If you fail to do so deductions may need to be made from your deposit in line with tenancy deposit scheme regulations.

How do I get my deposit back?

After an inventory check and condition inspection a dilapidations report will be sent to the landlord of the property, if there is no dilapidations the return of the deposit will be processed quicker than if any remedial works are required. You cannot off set your deposit against any rent payment due.

Who has been holding my deposit?

Unless you are advised otherwise, for instance if we provide a “Let Only Service” to the landlord, then City Residential will have retained your deposit in a designated client deposit account and this is placed in the insurance backed “Tenancy Dispute Service”. This will ensure the safety of the money and that the correct amount will be returned to you – or apportioned to the landlord if anything is missing or damaged.

How do I report Anti-Social behaviour?

If you experience anti-social behaviour whilst in occupation at your property you should call our anti-social behaviour line on 07444 406140 where you will receive an automated message, you can leave a message and we will respond as soon as possible.  If you feel that there is an immediate threat to your personal safety or you feel intimated in anyway you should contact the police by either dialling 999 or 0151 709 6010.